The theme of IAFS 2017, Inter-Professional Collaboration in Forensic Science, reflects the planning team’s interest to promote forensic best practices world-wide through a multidisciplinary approach to support human rights and justice.
Plenary sessions will reflect the overall theme and address the humanitarian aspects of forensic science and medicine. Topics for the plenaries will be:
- Forensic Issues in Human Migration
- Practicing Forensic Science in Challenging Environments: International Perspectives
- Major Case Management showcasing Ontario’s successful collaborative and multi-disciplinary approach to investigating high-profile and complex homicides
IAFS 2017 Goals and Objectives
- Improved management of deaths related to terrorism and armed conflict
- Improved management of deaths related to human migration
- Improved detection and management of deaths in the context of gender-based voilence, children, the elderly and other vulnerable populations
- Participants will achieve a greater understanding and be able to describe techniques for autopsy and death investigation in deaths related to terrorism and armed conflict
- Participants will be able to elaborate on the challenges facing death investigation systems in the context of human migration. They will be able to describe techniques used in identification, age and sex determination, and repatriation of individuals who die during human migration
- Participants will be able to discuss, elaborate and identify techniques for autopsy and investigation of deaths in children, the elderly, other vulnerable populations, as well as deaths related to gender-based violence.